We have been working steadily on the garden and finding plants and seeds. Things are coming along nicely and I am hoping to have things cleared and ready in time to plant soon.
Most of the grass has been removed from the vegetable garden area, and it should only take about an hour for both of us to get the rest up. The problem is that it keeps raining, which is good for the plants but makes it difficult to work in the mud. We did purchase a blueberry bush and planted it in the back corner, as I had planned and finally got the pea seeds planted.
The daffodils are slowing down, but the tulips are finally open and they are a darker purple/magenta. There is also a surprise patch of lily of the valley coming up behind them. Several hostas are leafing out, including a couple in the lawn. Apparently the flowerbed borders have moved a bit over time.
Last Thursday, Dad and I made a great discovery-DeBruyn Seed. There are no real seed stores left in Grand Rapids and no one carries the peanut seeds I wanted, so we drove an hour to found this little gem that a friend had suggested. It is a very comfortable store and their prices and selection are great! I picked up the peanut seeds along with mixed carrot seeds, yellow onion sets, and a rhubarb root. (Note: this is not a sponsored post-I just really love the store)
We planted the rhubarb root next to the garage since that seems to be the traditional place to put it, it gets plenty of sunlight, and we had room there. Now we wait to see if the root actually grows. Working with bare roots makes me nervous, as I don’t have a lot of experience and I am not exactly the best gardener around.
In the front beds, we planted a variety of bulbs that Mom gave us and also added a basil plant. More herbs will be coming, but I wanted to get this one started quickly to give it time to grow.
Yesterday I found a useful tool: the free vegetable garden planner at Smart Gardener (also not sponsored). You sign up for a free account and it lets you pick plants and play with different layouts. I have two possibilities here–let me know which one you think is better. The first one has everything in rows and the second utilizes blocked out areas.
The last thing we did was a soil test on the garden area. The dirt looks great and it tested well, except that it seems to be totally devoid of nitrogen. I am glad that we know that now so we can fix it. The next steps will be to clear the rest of the grass, fertilize and till the soil, and get the veggies planted. Now if only the rain would stop long enough to get it done.