I feel it necessary to apologise to you, dear reader. Things have been crazy and I have been neglecting to write to you, but I promise that I have not forgotten you. The thing is, I have been busy making big changes in my life.
I QUIT MT JOB! My “real” job. The unappreciative and demoralizing retail job I have held and hated for the last 13 years. No, I do not have another job lined up, I just quit. It isn’t really that simple, but that is the gist of it. Obviously that brings up some questions and I will try to answer some of them here.
How could you do such a thing?
I know, not working for even a short time is relatively unheard of in this society, with the possible exception of being a stay-at-home parent. We thought it over and found several reasons this was necessary.
- The job and the hours were literally killing me. It was not good for my health or my state of mind. Between stress and sleep deprivation, we were both barely surviving. Now we are able to actually live and enjoy life.
- I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance that I have never gotten to really use. This job made it impossible to look for something in my field that I actually enjoy doing. This change will free me up to do just that.
- The numbers mostly worked. We are debt free and J makes pretty decent money. We can cut back a bit and live frugally for a while without too much difficulty. Worst case, we have 6 months of expenses saved in our emergency fund and several sinking funds for long-term expenses. Financial Peace is a wonderful thing.
- Several projects have been piling up around the house. Many supplies have already been purchased and other things just need to be organized better. This is a great way to get caught up on all of this.
- Christmas in retail is horrible. I found myself thoroughly dreading another holiday season and I love holidays, especially Christmas. I would have been forced to work crazy hours including Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and most Saturdays. I just don’t have that in me anymore and I feel very badly for my friends who are still stuck there. This year I can actually celebrate with family and friends and I am looking forward to it.
- Most of my friends there have either quit or retired. The company is experiencing a mass exodus like I have not seen on my 13 years, which is a pretty good indication that something is seriously wrong and it is time to go.
- Company values were increasingly less aligned with my own. I hate debt and do not want to be in place that pushes it on unsuspecting customers, especially those who are older or do not speak English well. Also, they push customer service but do not schedule enough hours to actually accomplish it. This shortchanges the customer and makes the employees look bad.
What does this mean for the blog?
Hopefully, this means I will have more time to write quality posts. I would love to make this a full-time job though this is a very difficult way to achieve an income. There are many other competing blogs out there, but I will continue to put out the best product I can and see where it goes from there. However, if I do get another real job soon, it could make that much more difficult and posts will likely be reduced, depending on the demands of the job.
I have recently renewed my Amazon associate referral status and that is currently the sole hypothetical income source for this site. Any purchases made within 24 hours of clicking an Amazon link on here will result in a very small commission and I would appreciate it very, very much. It would greatly help us and help to continue content here.
What can I expect to see here going forward?
Michigan Travel-Many of you have come to see my Pure Michigan series and I will absolutely continue it. I have many posts planned as the seasons are appropriate. Some require snow and others are waiting for summer, but they will be coming and I am excited to write them.
Home Projects and Gardening-I have a couple of posts planned that should be pretty fun. Keep your eyes peeled.
Frugality and Home Finance-This will be more important for us personally, so if I find something good, I will be sure to share.
Recipes-There are already many food blogs out there so I do not feel a great need to compete, but if I find a really special recipe like my blueberry muffins, I will gladly share with you.
I am still feeling my way around this whole blogging thing. If there is something you would like to see here, let me know and I will see what I can do. Conversely, if something isn’t going well, let me know. It will help steer this in a better direction.
I hope this has answered some of your questions. If you have any more, I would love to hear them in the comments.